The Nationalist

Offering extra insight into United Irelander, the blog and its author.

Friday, May 13, 2005

Q & A

I've realised that even though I have been the author of United Irelander for many months now, people still know very little about me or my political beliefs. Therefore, I've decided to answer some questions I'm sure people who don't know me might have.

Q: Who are you?

A: I write under the pseudonym United Irelander.

Q: Where are you from?

A: Dublin, Ireland.

Q: Why did you call your site United Irelander?

A: It's partly a reference to the "United Irishman" paper which some of the Young Irelanders wrote for. Likewise, this blog is called "The Nationalist" in reference to "The Nation".

Q: You are a nationalist then?

A: Yes.

Q: What do you hope to see for Ireland?

A: I hope to see Irish reunification take place.

Q: Are you an Irish Republican?

A: Hard to say since the term "Republican" has come to adopt other meanings in this day and age. I favour a republican system of government but I mainly want to see Ireland reunified. I'm willing to consider various options. If unity could occur without Ireland being a republic, then that's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make. I'd see myself as a republican with a small 'r'.

Q: So you don't mind the British monarchy having a role in Irish affairs?

A: If it will secure Irish unity, no. I believe the British monarchy will die sometime in the 21st century anyway. I wouldn't object to the monarchy having some sort of dual role along with the President as head of state. I think all options should be left open.

Q: Do you believe Ireland will be reunified?

A: I believe Ireland will be reunified sometime in the 21st century though how long this takes depends on the choices people make.

Q: Do you support Sinn Fein?

A: No.

Q: Why not?

A: I believe they are a partitionist party in that they feed off the segregation that the border brings with it. They are detested by the Unionist community and have no hope of ever convincing Unionists about the merits of Irish reunification. Furthermore, they are inextricably linked to the Provisional IRA who have not yet abandoned criminality. Sinn Fein for a long time were the single greatest obstacle to Irish reunification though recent steps taken by the Provoisional IRA to abandon their armed campaign and to decommission weapons are steps I welcome.

Q: Why do many nationalists in the North support Sinn Féin?

A: They are taken in by their rhetoric. There isn't a strong alternative to them at this point in time. It should be noted that most Irish people do not support them.

Q: Can Ireland be reunified with Sinn Fein as the voice of northern nationalism?

A: No.

Q: What party do you support?

A: I have no particular allegiance to any party. I'd describe myself as a floating voter.

Q: Why did you create United Irelander?

A: To put forward an alternative Irish nationalist opinion.

Q: Finally, why is it so important that Irish reunification takes place?

A: Because Ireland should never have been divided in the first place. It was divided without the consent of the majority of Irish people. Most of the people in the island of Ireland today want Partition ended yet it remains. The reunification of Ireland will be the greatest day in Ireland's history. In my opinion, it is Ireland's destiny. Let's see it happen.